Thursday, July 31, 2008

HA! Lifes little surprises

We have been given several of lives little surprises lately. One of the first... our heat in our dryer went out. We have had the set for 13 years. So, we decided we would go ahead and purchase a new washer and dryer set. WOW! They wash and dry so much quicker then the old set! It is so nice to be able to finish laundry quicker and more efficiently. A mini blessing in disguise! All except the expenditure... LOL

The month continues with the normal things. Swim lessons, tball, softball. Driving back and forth to Des Moines for both Cory and I. Then comes a Saturday night. The house got hit by lightening. Cory was in Des Moines and I was here with the kids. I did some minor trouble shooting figuring out that there were some issues already including partial power and some electrical losses. This was about midnight and I went back to bed as there was nothing I could do at that point. Sunday came the reality of it. We had no phone, no cable, no internet. We lost the modem, the router, the desktop computer, the external hard drive, lights in the dining room, lamp, phones, etc. I was overwhelmed.

After talking a bit more to Cory, I called the phone company and cable company and they came out later that day showing that indeed, their services were hit rather significantly, even burning the internal wire of the phone line outside the house. The metal cable pieces that were supposed to be together, were broken apart. They fixed the external pieces and we got cable, internet, and phone services back. BUT that did not mean that I had the services in the house. I had lots of replacements to do.

We are still finding things that were damaged with the lightening and have yet to replace everything that was damaged. There were just way too many things.

ALONG with dealing with the lightening issues, we have closed on the property in Carlisle and it is now OURS!!! The contractor is going for the building permit and has marked out the property for our approval. He will be digging within the next week or so.

Emily is in the American Coed Pageant in Coralville, Iowa this weekend. We will be there tomorrow, Friday thru Sunday. She will compete in several areas. Mainly interview and poise in eveningwear. I will post pictures when I can. She is looking forward to it. This is her second year. Last year she was second runner up. She did awesome!!!! We are still looking for sponsors if you are interested in helping out. Please contact me!!!

That is about it for now. I am still having migraines so if you could say a little prayer for me, I would appreciate it!

~Theresa

1 comment:

Barb T said...

Thanks for keeping us up to date. Glad you're all OK after all of that.