Friday, August 19, 2011

Entry #2 August 19th, 2011

So I made a phone call today. Well, I should rewind a bit. I have had my resume at three accounting placement agencies for several months. One of the comments I have received when being interviewed by them was that not having my degree would be a detriment to getting a job placement in many places, especially being out of the job market as long as I have.
For some, I may have to go back further. My senior year of college, I had to have surgery. I missed class and was told I could not make up the homework. The night of Baccalaureate mass, I was told by my professor that I would not get my degree. This was in 1995. Well, I proceeded to leave college and have a life. I got married, had kids, etc. In 2006, I retook the class and transferred it to my college. When it transferred, it transferred as only a partial credit. I was short .13 units.
So here I am. Trying to get a job. I have my Insurance licenses and was going to work to sell insurance. This proves difficult though when Cory works overtime and/or the kids have activities in the evenings. So, I kept my eyes open for something still in accounting.
One of the companies has this opening for someone with experience in Quickbooks and Non-profits and wants it to be part time. BUT they will only consider someone with a degree. The wages are really good. Hence, my phone call today...
I started by calling my college professor. I left a message as there was no answer. Then I emailed her. It is the same professor I worked with when I was there. She is now the Dean of Accounting. She is willing to take my Insurance Licensing as an Independent Study Course so that I can get my degree officially. She sent the email to the registrar to see where it needed to go from there, but it sounds good so far! I am THRILLED!!! The only downside, I think I will be paying out the nose for this partial unit since it is coming from my private college. On the brightside...IT WILL BE DONE! and there should be no more impediments for me getting a job.
Oh, and I definitely think that this would call for a party! :)

No comments: