Saturday, December 11, 2010

December 11, 2010

Saturday
There are big white flakes falling from the sky! This will be the first significant snowfall for the year. After growing up in California, it is always a sight to be able to look out a window and see snow in my own backyard. One of the first thing one learns in school is that two snowflakes can never look alike. In looking out the window, and imagining how far spread this snowfall is, that amazes me and makes me appreciate God's great gifts.

I do love days like today, especially if I can be inside the house. Right now, the fire is going (thank goodness I have learned how to get it going), I am having coffee, and the kids are keeping quiet. Hmmm, perhaps too quiet. Nicholas is watching television and Alex is upstairs in his room, most likely reading. Chris and Emily are most likely watching television downstairs. Cory is still sleeping. I don't have to worry about running out, although I just realized that Alex might have had Boy Scouts this morning. Whoops! No, just looked and it is the Christmas party for them tomorrow instead. Whew!

I have even learned to drive in the snow, not that it is my favorite thing to do. I am more tense and alert while driving when snowing and while it is on the ground, but am no longer afraid as I use to be. Last year, I even went into the ditch in our subdivision. I had Emily and Alex with me. All I did was laugh because there was nothing I could have done. It was an icy patch, there was not enough grip.  The car had just kept turning and slipping and there was nothing I could have done differently. So, I called Cory who was maybe 300 feet away at our home, laughing my head off. Alex really thought I had lost my mind. I had just realized that there was nothing I could have done. I can't be upset about things I don't have control over.

Goals for this weekend include LOTS of cleaning and organizing here! We hope to get our Christmas decorations OUT! HA! Things have not been going too well in that direction as we have been fairly busy and no one wants to help pick things up. Hopefully we can get some assistance from the children this weekend with it being snowy and getting SO CLOSE to CHRISTMAS! We will see.

I hope everyone is ready for the Jesus' birthday! It is coming soon! I am ready for his birth. I am just not ready for all the other celebration that comes with it...

No comments: